As moms, coffee is life. I do not see how you do motherhood "sans" your cup (or 4) a day. But, as we all know coffee isn't the best thing for your health-so enter Matcha Latte. This has become our new favourite drink.
So what is matcha? Matcha is green tea, more specifically it is a young tea leaf & it is grown and picked in Japan. What makes matcha different to Green tea is that you consume the whole leaf (in powdered form) which means you receive 100% of the leaf's nutrients. It is an antioxidant powerhouse & is said to have 137 times more antioxidants than normal brewed green tea.
So what are the benefits of Matcha:
- Boosts metabolism
- Enhances mood
- Natural detoxifier
- Calms the mind and the body
- Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
- Enhances Concentration
- Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
- Prevents disease like cancer
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
The health benefits are endless and best of all you can add it to just about anything from smoothies, to soups and you can even just brew it with hot water. We love making it with almond milk and a bit of honey.
So here is a delicious & easy recipe you can try at home:
- Matcha whisk
- 1tsp organic matcha powder.
- 1/2 cup of hot water
- 1/2 cup of hot Almond milk/Coconut milk
- 1tsp honey
- 1tsp coconut oil
- Add matcha & coconut oil to a bit of hot water in a cup, whisk until it becomes a paste.
- Add the remaining water and the almond milk and stir, you can also add a bit of honey (or any other sweetner) now.