Comforting Butternut Squash & Curry Soup
Autumn is in full swing and we have been craving wholesome, comforting foods that will fill our tummies with warmth, but also keep us healthy in this transitional period. It is so important to nourish our bodies with the changing of seasons, especially our children's. This curried butternut soup recipe ticks all of the boxes. It is comforting, healthy & delicious.
*Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker.
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut oil
- 2 shallots, thinly diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups (840 g) butternut squash
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (12 g) curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp rice malt syrup (or honey)
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat-add the shallots & garlic, sauté for 2 min.
- Add the curry powder, cinnamon, turmeric & ginger powder and sauté 1 min.
- Add butternut-season with a pinch each salt and pepper & stir to coat.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth & rice malt syrup.
- Bring to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until butternut is tender.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a blender, and purée on high until creamy and smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings
- Serve with a fresh bread.